28 April 2008

Requiem for a dream?

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross described seven stages of grief. I would say that I went through a grieving process the "death" of my Italy dream. I'm not sure if I'm ready to move on yet, but I definitely feel less like I'm at an Irish wake if you catch my meaning and I'm sure you do.

The seven (some list five) stages of grief go like this: Shock or Disbelief, Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Guilt, Depression, Acceptance and Hope.
  1. Shock or Disbelief. When I opened the email from my aunt, my breath literally began to come in little pants, and my mouth went dry as my heart banged away in my chest. I don't think I've ever experienced a more palpably physical shock from just reading something.
  2. Denial. I remember thinking it was like a mistranslation, or something a friend wrote for them in English. That was before I got the letter directly from my aunt, in all its Italianate melodramatic glory.
  3. Anger. Denise got angry for me, as I recall, and then I got mad at her for rushing me through the Seven Stages when I had just settled into Denial...
  4. Bargaining. I wrote perhaps the best off-the-cuff composition I've ever written in Italian. straight through from beginning to end without recourse to dictionary or conjugation lists. I gave it my all, though I held back from reminding her what our branch of the family did for their branch of the family after the war.
  5. Guilt. I blamed myself, beyond what was reasonable, for the misunderstanding. I chalked it up to cultural differences, my own assholishness, anythibng other than a cranky old aunt who more than once had the ovaries to suggest we weren't really related.
  6. Depression. And many bottles of wine.
  7. Acceptance and Hope. Am I there yet? I don't really know. I still have pangs when I read Italian, and I'm still not comfortable writing more than a few words in the language. I blame Berlusconi for Totti's injury and my aunt for Berlusconi.
In short, I'm bitter at a whole nation of fifty million because of a disagreement with relatives. That is, pretty much, what passes for Acceptance in my family, and I'm OK with it. For now.

2 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Whahuh? I had no idea your aunt and her letter were so, I don't know, determinative? Is that a word?

Anger, incidentally, tends to make my best Italian come out as well. It's in the genes I think.

But hey, where's the hope? C'è sempre la speranza....

myla said...

it is now thought that the stages of grief aren't linear and can occur concurrently, in no particular order and recur. additionally, there is no guarantee that all will stages will show up at all.