29 April 2008

the darkness spreads

This makes me sad and angry:
On Monday night, the area around Rome's city hall rang to chants of "Duce! Duce!", the term adopted by Italy's dictator, Benito Mussolini, equivalent to the German "Führer". Supporters of the new mayor gave the fascist Roman straight-arm salutes.

Maybe Italy hasn't changed that much since my grandfather fled in 1921. Or, just maybe, I let my hopes cloud my judgment.

And this country's one terror attack away from a wave of repression that would make even Umberto Bossi look like a wuss.

Poor, poor Italy. Poor America.

2 comments:

Romerican said...

It was a sad day indeed. Did you see the pictures of the hoards of people celebrating at Campidoglio? doing the "roman salute"??? I almost vomited my breakfast when I saw it. Consider yourself forewarned:
http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/politica/saluti-romani-alemanno/1.html

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

That photo is so beyond disturbing.