Whooo!!!! We're number 1!!!!
According to a new book, in this most favoured nation of God:
- 98% of Americans profess belief in a monotheistic God, with 81% claiming to be “Christian.”
- The USA is the “only developed nation in the survey where a majority of citizens reported that religion plays a ‘very important’ role in their lives.”
- Other recent surveys show only 58% to 80% of Americans are “certain” there’s a God.
- 75% of adults believe the famed Benjamin Franklin saying “God helps those who help themselves” is one of the Ten Commandments.
- “A 2005 survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found that nearly two-thirds of Americans endorse the simultaneous teaching of creationism and evolution in public schools,” despite the former’s insistence that the latter isn’t true and never happened.
- 10% believe Joan of Arc was the wife of Noah from the Book of Genesis.
- The decline of religious literacy in America began with the “Second Great Awakening” of the 1800s — a rejection of the Founding Fathers’ Age of Reason and theological knowledge in favor of a “personal relationship with God”
- George W. Bush, himself a religious illiterate who claims to be a born-again Christian whose “favorite philosopher” is Jesus, excitedly jabbers about a Third Great Awakening
- 50% of high school seniors believe Sodom and Gomorrah were married.
- 17% agree that Ramadan is the “Jewish day of atonement.”
- Most believe Saint Paul led the Israelites from their enslavement in Egypt.
- Only one in three Americans can name the four Gospels, while less than half can even name one of them.
- A majority couldn’t identify the preacher of the “Sermon on the Mount.”