05 December 2005

All work and no play...

I am working my 12 hour shift right now. It's super intense in a certain sense, just being here for so damn long. On the other hand, it's Sunday night, it's quiet, and I'm not exhausted yet. On the one foot, though, there was this great yard party Celso had going for the Chargers-Raiders game, and it was a beautiful warm clear day and my baby was out of work by 3pm. On the other foot, I'm making good money. So it's a mixed bag.

I'm finally actually working on my Italian, as I had planned to do months ago. I'm just usually so mind-wasted that I can't do anything. I'm trying to really use my time better, and I think it is having a good effect. Just spacing out or reading tends to deaden the mind, while doing something actively that requires thought seems to keep the brain-fog down a bit.

I would be more depressed if there wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel; already Jeff, Dave, and - most importantly - Chris have told me that I will be coming off nights soon. Nobody can put a date on it but it is clear that they need me on days. It is going to be a revolution in my life to rejoin the human race, and I am really really hopeful that I can be back on days while Denise is on break. It's sort of amazing that our relationship hasn't been more stressed by our opposite schedules.

I really, really can't understand why the media lets the government get away with such obvious, patent untruths. They keep saying "we do not torture" but are fighting a law that makes it clear that torture is against the law (which it is already, even with so-called "enemy combatants"- under the Fourth Geneva Convention). They say that we're not flying people around to torture them, but that we need to fly people around to torture them because "we're at war" (we're not, actually). They lie and lie and lie, and have no shame because they know they can get away with it. I almost blame the media more - agree with them or not, at least the government has an agenda. What is the media's agenda, other than being butt-boys to power?

This is freaky but pretty cool... people fucking inside an MRI machine. I know it's a clinical and a little gross, but I've always been curious just where things go inside there. I paid attention in sex ed and all, but you know... seeing is believing.

No comments: