03 September 2008

powerless

My best friend on Earth was kicked out by his wife... close to a year of depression and alcoholism, violence and more stints in rehab than I can count (literally) had just finally wore her down. He's walking the streets, with no credit cards (she took his plastic) and I don't know how much cash. Slept outside last night.

I tried to get him to go to a hotel, offered to pay... but he got belligerent with the staff. He stopped taking my calls. I really don't know where he is now. He's been saying a lot of crazy stuff, and the streets of Chicago are no place for a drunk in crisis.

Not getting a lot done today, just blowing up his cell and stressing. I'm up to 27 thousand something. Whatever.

2 comments:

Boots in the Oven said...

So sorry you're going through this. Sometimes people need to hit a bottom like this before they begin to take their situation seriously - I hope your friend begins to see his way out of his crisis.

Tui Snider @mentalmosaic said...

Dropped by to read your Saviano translation again (I've gotta get his book)and to see what your word count is, but I see that you've got bigger fish to fry.

Sounds like you're a big part of your friend's life. Hopefully he will reach out to you soon. I can see why you are fretting. Hope he contacts you soon.