06 January 2008

Home is where you wear your hat

We got back from Hawai'i on Friday morning. It was kind of a weird trip - for once I had a visceral feeling of what "neither here nor there" means. After thirty months, there's really nothing left of me there... though there are familiar people and places, nothing really resonated as "mine." So, it was nice to see a lot of people, though I spent the trip in kind of a fugue state. I do feel much more comfortable here in San Diego, though it's not exactly home in any sort of emotional sense. So here I am... at least not living out of a bag! I guess I really am a nomad by nature.

Today's big news is that I heard back from the vice consul that my Italian citizenship application has taken a big step forward: a letter was sent to the National Archives checking to see if my grandfather ever naturalised. If not, then he wasn't a citizen... therefore my dad had dual citizenship and so do I.

And then...



Me? Americano? A chi lo dici?!

3 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Awesome news! My CdI is pathetic compared to that fancy schmancy one.

Here it's paper (not even laminated) with your photo glued on. Plus it's just a little too big to fit normally inside an average wallet so luckily the guy where I got the photos supplied me with a future CdI shield.

Of course P's is in even worse shape than mine since I washed it in the washing machine. Since the writing on it is only printed from a printer and then not covered in any way, he now has backwards, smeary words across his face. Which, in case you're wondering, he doesn't usually have in real life.

Uffa.

Anonymous said...

OK, that's very cool. Wish I had Italian unnaturalized ancestry.

Isa said...

can't wait to get the new CdI!!! The old one is really old fashioned, in light pink and with stamps, but - like sognatrice said - so damn uncomfty. It is valid for 5 years but often lasts less!