13 January 2008

funktionslust

I just discovered this new word: funktionslust - German for “pleasure taken in what one does best.” Having spent so much of my life as a round peg trying to cram himself into square holes, it actually took some thought to figure out just what it is that I do best. Other than napping, for example, or taking long walks.

Having spent much of my spare time in the last year trying to read L'Espresso and struggling to follow Giorgia Todrani's manic raps on Radio2, it sort of belatedly came to mind that one can actually use one's language skills to make money. I've been resisting for some time the idea of changing careers, having put so much effort into getting a computer science degree even though I have no real interest in the field (other than the ability to earn a buck). To a large extent, it's a sunk cost fallacy, but so many years struggling to find a job have made me very resistant to leaving a field where I have literally never had to look for work.

Felicitously, though, translation holds out the very real promise of being able to pull together my various strengths - language, technology, writing - in a way that may be very marketable. I'm in the process of learning what I can about breaking into the field, and meanwhile have tried my hand at doing some Wikipedia translations for free.

A new adventure! Sometimes, it's just what I need.

Ama e fa' ciò che vuoi. - Sant'Agostino d'Ippona

2 comments:

Tui Snider @mentalmosaic said...

Have you checked out roam2roam.com?

She does Italian/English translations and says there is a huge demand for that particular language pair. Considering that she speaks 4 languages, I'd say she knows a thing or two.

Anyway, she's got a section on her site where she talks about getting started as a translator.

I've got a long way to go before I can take the plunge, but I hope to at some point.

The Passionate Palate said...

I just found you through Bleeding Espresso and like the energy of your blog (and was also inspired by some of your favorite books). I truly believe that when we love what we do, all sorts of unforeseen and foreseen supportive and positive things fall into place for us. Oh, sure we can still make a living doing something that we are less than ecstatic about, but why?

I envy your fluency in Italian and if I were at your level, I would certainly do translations as well! I think your technical background makes you uniquely qualified for specific translating. I think Ms. Adventures in Italy is in the technical field and does translations. You should try connecting with her.