24 February 2007

Northern Italy on foot

I keep trying and trying to write something on this for my Italian class, but I'm still recovering from the flu, and my head feels like it is filled with cotton. Maybe I'll write something in Italian in a bit...

I can't find any news in English on this, so if you don't read Italian you may be surprised to know that tomorrow (25 feb), no cars will be allowed in all (or mostly all) of the cities in Italy's industrialised north. Air quality in all of Italy's cities is notoriously bad, and PM10 concentrations are higher than EU regulations in many Northern cities. Italian cities were built for foot and horse traffic, and so are perfectly suited for pedestrians and bicyclists. There has been a growing trend to have "car-free Sundays" in the cities, with free or reduced rate entry to museums and historic sites.

Of course, we could never do this in our car-dependent U.S... aside from the cultural antipathy to walking, there simply isn't the infrastructure. Even the layout of our cities militates against self-propulsion, and public transportation is, in most places, minimal to non-existent.

That's about all I have brain power for right now... more - in one language or another - soon.

2 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Funny that you posted this--I just read over on Delinissima's blog that they do this sort of thing every last Sunday of the month in Naples. Can you imagine? She even took a picture to prove it. Thanks for your comments btw :)

Miss A said...

Coming across a blog that you like and want to read regularly is harder than you think, so I have linked you up if that is OK. Hello!