27 February 2007

It's back on!

Yes! Italian citizenship is still within my grasp!!!

Thanks to Sognatrice's advice, I did find out that it is possible to apply for Italian citizenship even though my grandfather became a citizen before my father's birth. Unfortunately, I have to live in Italy for three years (oh woe is me!!!!) and go through a whole bureaucratic rigmarole. However, I build a house, married and divorced in the People's Republic of Hawai'i, so bureaucracy doesn't scare me.

From the Italian embassy:

HOW TO APPLY

1. Declaration of desire to become a citizen;

If the foreigner is of Italian descent (up to the 2nd degree) he/she can obtain citizenship in any of the following cases:

- by serving in the Italian armed forces;

- by becoming a subordinate employee of the Italian State, even abroad;

- by residing legally in Italy for at least two years after reaching legal age.

If the foreigner was born in Italian territory he/she can obtain citizenship by residing legally and uninterruptedly in Italy from birth up to legal age.

I will not be stopped!!!!!

No comments: