27 February 2007

the "1948 rule"

I almost gave up my dream of dual citizenship after finding out my grandfather had become a citizen before my father was born. Then, my relatives came through with a bunch of new information about my grandmother, and it suddenly looked like I could get jure sanguinis citizenship through her. More and more, the evidence seemed to point to her having never become a citizen, and so I allowed myself to believe it was really going to happen.

Then, reality came crashing in.

a grandmother born before 01/01/1948 can claim Italian citizenship only from her father and can transfer it only to children born after 01/01/1948

FUCK!!

Ah well, Sognatrice gave me some hints about applying for citizenship in Italy, even when the line has been broken... who knows.

No comments: